Home Makeover Sessions: Coffee/Tea Station

After my last home makeover session post, you will all notice that my makeovers aren’t a big spectacular event. My home makeovers are more small details adding to my house, because to me tweaking things around the house can make a big difference. These small makeovers are for anyone who wants inspiration for their own house and they don’t have to be totally handy with tools or be a Pinterest worthy interior designer. So continuing on with my home improvement, I moved onto my coffee/tea station.

I love my coffee and tea. I’ve wanted to have a display in my kitchen for all of my hot beverages errr stuff (as well as the kettle) so it’s easy accessible and welcoming to house guests. I used to just have everything piled up in the corner along with the kettle, it looked messy and made the kitchen bench look small. It looked like shit! So I went looking around for some shelf/ stand- something to store everything neatly that I didn’t have to screw into the wall and didn’t take up much bench space. It was pure luck I came across this L shaped shelf thing in a store for dirt cheap. I remember it was like $15 I can’t remember if it was from the Reject Shop or Kmart or Target. But anyway for the last few years its served as the beverage spot right next to the kettle. Its been great stored everything neatly and Ive had no issues, but I felt like it needed a little upgrade to make it look fresh.

img_6926-e1532910282357.jpg

BEFORE

I didn’t want to have to go out shopping for anything new I just wanted to update the overall look. I ended up using stuff I’ve kept around the house. Im a bit of a harder with things I keep bits of paper and random stuff just at the off chance that I could use it for something else. In this case I used some left over Vinyl that I had originally used to decorate a small kitchen for the little one and some hooks.

First thing I did was clean down the shelf, Make sure that it was spotless and free from any dust/coffee and sugar grains. I then measured the bottom shelf and cut out the adhesive vinyl. Once vinyl was cut out to size I slowly placed it on the bottom shelf trying to not to get any bubbles or creases in the vinyl. I made sure I put one corner down first and gradually kept smoothing out the rest of the Vinyl. Once that was done I put the shelves upside down and marked in pencil where the hooks will go for the small and large cups. To measure up the spaces would be between the cups I had to physically hold up the cups on the hooks to check the spacing (I had a hand with this one while I held up the hooks I had a friend mark the spot). Sure there could have been a simpler way to do this but this is the way I went with. Once I finished marking the hooks spots I got out the drill and made some small holes in the shelves ( making sure that the holes were the same size as the hooks) making sure that I didn’t do all the way through the shelves.

Once the holes were made I then screwed in the hooks (bigger ones on the higher shelf and smaller on the bottom shelf), I made sure that the hooks all faced the same direction – outwards . When everything was hooked in I gave the shelves one last wipe down and were done! The tea/coffee station is ready to go. This was just a minor makeover that made a significant difference to my kitchen. Im not MISS-FIX-IT with all of the handy know how, but I know how to work a drill (like most should) this was extremely easy to do and it created more storage in my cup cupboard (I have an obsession with buying cups). Anyone can do this really, now the kettle is boiled I have a coffee to make.

IM OUT!!

AFTER

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s